MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENCE TERMS
IF YOU LIVE IN (OR ARE A BUSINESS WITH A PRINCIPAL PLACE OF BUSINESS IN) THE UNITED STATES, PLEASE READ THE “BINDING ARBITRATION AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER” SECTION BELOW. IT AFFECTS HOW DISPUTES ARE RESOLVED.
These licence terms are an agreement between you and Microsoft Corporation (or one of its affiliates). They apply to the software named above and any Microsoft services or software updates (except to the extent such services or updates are accompanied by new or additional terms, in which case those different terms apply prospectively and do not alter your or Microsoft’s rights relating to pre-updated software or services). IF YOU COMPLY WITH THESE LICENCE TERMS, YOU HAVE THE RIGHTS BELOW. BY USING THE SOFTWARE, YOU ACCEPT THESE TERMS.
1. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
a) General. You may install and run one instance of the software on up to each of ten of your Windows 10 devices that are linked to the Microsoft account associated with your Windows Store account, and solely for use on Windows.
b) Third Party Software. The software may include third party applications that are licensed to you under this agreement or under their own terms. Licence terms, notices and acknowledgements, if any, for the third party applications may be accessible online at http://aka.ms/thirdpartynoticesor in an accompanying notices file. Even if such applications are governed by other agreements, the disclaimer, limitations on and exclusions of damages below also apply to the extent allowed by applicable law.
c) Open Source Components. The software may contain third party copyrighted software licensed under open source licences with source code availability obligations. Copies of those licences are included in the ThirdPartyNotices file or other accompanying notices file.
d) Microsoft Services Agreement. Some features of the software provide access to, or rely on, online services. The use of those services (but not the software) is governed by the separate terms and privacy policies in the Microsoft Services Agreement at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=398923. Please read them. The services may not be available in all regions.
3. SCOPE OF LICENCE. The software is licensed, not sold. Microsoft reserves all other rights. Unless applicable law gives you more rights despite this limitation, you will not (and have no right to):
a) work around any technical limitations in the software that only allow you to use it in certain ways;
b) reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the software, or attempt to do so, except and only to the extent required by third party licensing terms governing the use of certain open-source components that may be included with the software;
c) remove, minimise, block or modify any notices of Microsoft or its suppliers in the software;
d) use the software for commercial, non-profit or revenue-generating activities;
e) use the software in any way that is against the law or to create or propagate malware; or
f) share, publish, distribute or lend the software, provide the software as a stand-alone hosted solution for others to use, or transfer the software or this agreement to any third party.
4. VIDEO CODECS. THIS PRODUCT IS LICENSED UNDER THE AVC, THE VC-1 AND THE MPEG-4 PART 2 VISUAL PATENT PORTFOLIO LICENCES FOR THE PERSONAL AND NON-COMMERCIAL USE OF A CONSUMER TO (i) ENCODE VIDEO IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE ABOVE STANDARDS (“VIDEO STANDARDS”) OR (ii) DECODE AVC, VC-1 AND MPEG-4 PART 2 VIDEO THAT WAS ENCODED BY A CONSUMER ENGAGED IN A PERSONAL AND NON-COMMERCIAL ACTIVITY OR WAS OBTAINED FROM A VIDEO PROVIDER LICENSED TO PROVIDE SUCH VIDEO. NO LICENCE IS GRANTED OR SHALL BE IMPLIED FOR ANY OTHER USE. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM MPEG LA, L.L.C. SEE http://aka.ms/mpegla.
5. EXPORT RESTRICTIONS. You must comply with all domestic and international export laws and regulations that apply to the software, which include restrictions on destinations, end users and end use. For further information on export restrictions, visit http://aka.ms/exporting.
6. SUPPORT SERVICES. Microsoft is not obligated under this agreement to provide any support services for the software. Any support provided is “as is”, “with all faults” and without warranty of any kind.
7. UPDATES. The software may periodically check for updates, and download and install them for you. You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorised sources. Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with updates. You agree to receive these automatic updates without any additional notice. Updates may not include or support all existing software features, services or peripheral devices.
8. BINDING ARBITRATION AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER. This Section applies if you live in (or, if a business, your principal place of business is in) the United States. If you and Microsoft have a dispute, you and Microsoft agree to try for 60 days to resolve it informally. If you and Microsoft can’t, you and Microsoft agree to binding individual arbitration before the American Arbitration Association under the Federal Arbitration Act (“FAA”), and not to sue in court in front of a judge or jury. Instead, a neutral arbitrator will decide. Class action lawsuits, class-wide arbitrations, private attorney-general actions and any other proceeding where someone acts in a representative capacity are not allowed; nor is combining individual proceedings without the consent of all parties. The complete Arbitration Agreement contains more terms and is at http://aka.ms/arb-agreement-1. You and Microsoft agree to these terms.
9. ENTIRE AGREEMENT. This agreement, and any other terms Microsoft may provide for supplements, updates or third-party applications, is the entire agreement for the software.
10. APPLICABLE LAW AND PLACE TO RESOLVE DISPUTES. If you acquired the software in the United States or Canada, the laws of the state or province where you live (or, if a business, where your principal place of business is located) govern the interpretation of this agreement, claims for its breach and all other claims ( including consumer protection, unfair competition and tort claims), regardless of conflict of laws principles, except that the FAA governs everything related to arbitration. If you acquired the software in any other country, its laws apply, except that the FAA governs everything related to arbitration. If U.S. federal jurisdiction exists, you and Microsoft consent to exclusive jurisdiction and venue in the federal court in King County, Washington for all disputes heard in court (excluding arbitration). If not, you and Microsoft consent to exclusive jurisdiction and venue in the Superior Court of King County, Washington for all disputes heard in court (excluding arbitration).
11. CONSUMER RIGHTS; REGIONAL VARIATIONS. This agreement describes certain legal rights. You may have other rights, including consumer rights, under the laws of your state, province or country. Separate and apart from your relationship with Microsoft, you may also have rights with respect to the party from which you acquired the software. This agreement does not change those other rights if the laws of your state, province or country do not permit it to do so. For example, if you acquired the software in one of the below regions, or mandatory country law applies, then the following provisions apply to you:
a) Australia. You have statutory guarantees under the Australian Consumer Law and nothing in this agreement is intended to affect those rights.
b) Canada. If you acquired this software in Canada, you may stop receiving updates by turning off the automatic update feature, disconnecting your device from the Internet (if and when you re-connect to the Internet, however, the software will resume checking for and installing updates) or uninstalling the software. The product documentation, if any, may also specify how to turn off updates for your specific device or software.
c) Germany and Austria.
i. Warranty. The properly licensed software will perform substantially as described in any Microsoft materials that accompany the software. However, Microsoft gives no contractual guarantee in relation to the licensed software.
ii. Limitation of Liability. In case of intentional conduct, gross negligence, claims based on the Product Liability Act, as well as, in case of death or personal or physical injury, Microsoft is liable according to the statutory law.
Subject to the foregoing clause ii., Microsoft will only be liable for slight negligence if Microsoft is in breach of such material contractual obligations, the fulfilment of which facilitate the due performance of this agreement, the breach of which would endanger the purpose of this agreement and the compliance with which a party may constantly trust in (so-called "cardinal obligations"). In other cases of slight negligence, Microsoft will not be liable for slight negligence.
12. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY. THE SOFTWARE IS LICENSED “AS IS.” YOU BEAR THE RISK OF USING IT. MICROSOFT GIVES NO EXPRESS WARRANTIES, GUARANTEES OR CONDITIONS. TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED UNDER APPLICABLE LAWS, MICROSOFT EXCLUDES ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT.
13. LIMITATION ON AND EXCLUSION OF DAMAGES. IF YOU HAVE ANY BASIS FOR RECOVERING DAMAGES DESPITE THE PRECEDING DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY, YOU CAN RECOVER FROM MICROSOFT AND ITS SUPPLIERS ONLY DIRECT DAMAGES UP TO U.S. $5.00. YOU CANNOT RECOVER ANY OTHER DAMAGES, INCLUDING CONSEQUENTIAL, LOST PROFITS, SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES.
This limitation applies to (a) anything related to the software, services, content (including code) on third party Internet sites, or third party applications; and (b) claims for breach of contract, warranty, guarantee or condition; strict liability, negligence or other tort; or any other claim; in each case to the extent permitted by applicable law.
It also applies even if Microsoft knew or should have known about the possibility of the damages. The above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you because your state, province or country may not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental, consequential or other damages.