Game Rating Information
What is the Entertainment Software Rating Board?
The ESRB rating system is an unbiased, standardized way to help you determine whether an Xbox® or Xbox 360™ video game is appropriate for your child. Ratings are determined by the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB). The ESRB is a self-regulatory body established in 1994 by the Entertainment Software Association (ESA). ESRB independently applies and enforces ratings, advertising guidelines, and online privacy principles adopted by the industry.
The ESRB has a website at esrb.org (available in English, French, Spanish, German, Italian, and Portugese) so that parents and consumers can access up-to-date rating information.
ESRB Rating Symbols
Titles rated EC (Early Childhood) have content that may be suitable for persons ages 3 and older. Contains no material that parents would find inappropriate.
Titles rated E (Everyone) have content that may be suitable for persons ages 6 and older. Titles in this category may contain minimal cartoon, fantasy or mild violence and/or infrequent use of mild language.
Titles rated E10+ (Everyone 10+) have content that may be suitable for ages 10 and older. Titles in this category may contain more cartoon, fantasy or mild violence, mild language, and/or minimal suggestive themes.
Titles rated T (Teen) have content that may be suitable for ages 13 and older. Titles in this category may contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling, and/or infrequent use of strong language.
Titles rated M (Mature) have content that may be suitable for persons ages 17 and older. Titles in this category may contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content, and/or strong language.
Titles listed as RP (Rating Pending) have been submitted to the ESRB and are awaiting final rating. This symbol appears only in advertising prior to a game's release.
Titles rated AO (Adults Only) have content that should only be played by persons 18 years and older. Titles in this category may include prolonged scenes of intense violence and/or graphic sexual content and nudity. Microsoft does not support AO titles on Xbox 360, Xbox LIVE or as part of the Games for Windows branded program.
ESRB Content Descriptors
- Alcohol Reference - Reference to and/or images of alcoholic beverages
- Animated Blood - Cartoon or pixilated depictions of blood
- Blood - Depictions of blood
- Blood and Gore - Depictions of blood or the mutilation of body parts
- Cartoon Violence - Violent actions involving cartoon-like characters. May include violence where a character is unharmed after the action has been inflicted
- Comic Mischief - Scenes depicting slapstick or gross vulgar humor
- Crude Humor - Moderately vulgar antics, including bathroom humor
- Drug Reference - Reference to and/or images of illegal drugs
- Edutainment - Content of product provides user with specific skills development or reinforcement learning within an entertainment setting. Skill development is an integral part of product
- Fantasy Violence - Violent actions of a fantasy nature, involving human or non-human characters in situations easily distinguishable from real life
- Real Gambling - Betting like behavior
- Informational - Overall content of product contains data, facts, resource information, reference materials or instructional text
- Intense Violence - Graphic and realistic-looking depictions of physical conflict. May involve extreme and/or realistic blood, gore, weapons, and depictions of human injury and death
- Mature Humor - Vulgar and/or crude jokes and antics including "bathroom" humor
- Mature Sexual Themes - Provocative material, possibly including partial nudity
- Language - Mild references to profanity, sexuality, violence, alcohol, or drug use
- Lyrics - Mild references to profanity, sexuality, violence, alcohol, or drug use in music
- Mild Violence - Mild scenes depicting characters in unsafe and/or violent situations
- Nudity - Graphic or prolonged depictions of nudity
- Partial Nudity - Brief and mild depictions of nudity
- Sexual Violence - Depictions of rape or other sexual acts
- Some Adult Assistance May Be Needed - Early Childhood Descriptor only
- Strong Language - Profanity and explicit references to sexuality, violence, alcohol, or drug use
- Strong Lyrics - Profanity and explicit references to sex, violence, alcohol, or drug use in music
- Strong Sexual Content - Graphic depiction of sexual behavior, possibly including nudity
- Suggestive Themes - Mild provocative references or materials
- Tobacco Reference - Reference to and/or images of tobacco products
- Use of Drugs - The consumption or use of illegal drugs
- Use of Alcohol - The consumption of alcoholic beverages
- Use of Tobacco - The consumption of tobacco products
- Violence - Scenes involving aggressive conflict