“XBOX ONE HOLIDAY PLAY AND WIN”
OFFICIAL RULES AND REGULATIONS
1. No purchase necessary. To be eligible to win a prize, a participant must be a legal resident of Canada and of the age of majority in his or her province of residence at the time of entry. Any potential participant who is an employee, representative and/or agent of Microsoft Corporation (“Sponsor”) or its affiliated companies, advertising agencies, prize suppliers or other representatives or agents (the “Sponsor-related Parties”), or a member of the respective immediate families (which for the purpose of these rules shall be defined to mean parent, child, spouse or sibling) of such persons or anyone with whom such persons are domiciled is ineligible to participate in this Contest. The Sponsor has the right to require at any time proof of identity, age and/or eligibility of any participant in the Contest. Failure to provide such proof within a reasonable period of time could result in disqualification.
In order for participants to be eligible for the Xbox One Holiday Play and Win Contest (the “Contest”), participants must 1) play certain games on Xbox One and earn at least two (2) pre-determined In-Game Achievements (as defined and outlined in paragraph 2a) between 12:00 a.m. EST December 30, 2015 and 11:59 p.m. EST January 15, 2016 (the “Contest Period”); OR 2) submit at least one Mail-In Entry describing their favourite Xbox moment by the Mail-In Date (as defined and outlined in paragraph 2b). Participants who successfully enter the Contest are eligible to win a prize (see paragraph 6 for prizing details).
2. How to enter:
a) Play Xbox One and earn at least two (2) of the listed in-game achievements, as set out below, before the close of the Contest Period:
Game: “achievement name” - How you earn the achievement
(i) Fallout 4: “War Never Changes” – Enter the Wasteland;
(ii) Star Wars: Battlefront: “The Power of the Force” – Defeat a hero while playing as any hero on Heroes vs Villains;
(iii) Call of Duty: Black Ops 3: “Welcome to the Club” – Reach Sergeant (Level 10) in Multiplayer while playing online;
(iv) Rainbow Six Siege: “On Your Six” – Unlock a defense operator;
(v) Rise of the Tomb Raider: “Challenging” – Complete any Challenge Tomb;
(vi) Halo 5: “Cry Havoc” – Complete three (3) matchmade games of Warzone;
(vii) Forza 6: “Welcome to Forza Motorsport” – Complete the first race;
(viii) Gears of War: UE: “Zen and the Art of Reloading” – Perform 25 (twenty-five) perfect active reloads on any difficulty;
(ix) NHL 16: “Not My Gatorade!” – Knock off the opposing goalie’s Gatorade bottle from the net by scoring a goal; and
(x) FIFA 16: “Around the Wall” – Score a goal with a curled free kick.
(collectively, the “In-Game Achievements,” and each individually an “In-Game Achievement”)
For sake of clarity, In-Game Achievements earned by a participant before the start of the Contest Period will count toward said participant’s In-Game Achievement total for the Contest Period. Participants who earn at least (two) of the above listed In-Change Achievements will be automatically eligible to win a prize without the requirement of formally registering (i.e. filling out and submitting any entry form) for the Contest.
b) For no-purchase entry, participants must write and submit at least one (1) letter of at least 150 (one hundred and fifty) words by regular mail describing their favourite Xbox gaming experience(s) (individually, a “Mail-In Entry,” and collectively “Mail-In Entries”). If a participant chooses to submit more than one (1) Mail-In Entry, each Mail-In Entry must contain a different Xbox gaming experience story, and each Mail-In Entry must be mailed separately (i.e. within separate envelopes and posted separately). For example, if a participant submits three (3) Mail-In Entries within the same envelope, or if the participant submits three (3) copies of the same Xbox gaming experience story, such Mail-In Entries shall be counted as just one (1) Mail-In Entry (and thus the participant will be entered into the draw pool for Prize #1 and NOT the draw pool for the Grand Prize). Participants should include their full name, address, phone number and email address in each Mail-In Entry. Mail-In Entries must be post-marked January 2, 2016 (the “Mail-In Date”) or earlier and should be addressed to:
Xbox One Holiday Play and Win
559 College Street, Suite 301
Toronto, Ontario, M6G 1A9
Incomplete or late Mail-In Entries will not be accepted. The Sponsor takes no responsibility for lost, late, destroyed or misdirected Mail-In Entries.
c) Limit of one (1) entry per person to the Contest, regardless of method of entry (i.e. participants may only enter the Contest by earning the In-Game Achievements OR by submitting one (1) or more Mail-In Entries). If a participant enters the Contest via both methods of entry, or if participant violates these Contest rules in any other way, the Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, disqualify the participant from the Contest entirely. Only one (1) email address or Xbox Live account per participant (as applicable) may be used in connection with this Contest. Use of automated devices is prohibited; automated entries (including but not limited to entries submitted using any robot, script, macro or other automated service) are not permitted and may result in disqualification. The Sponsor’s clock is the official time-keeping device to determine date and time of entry.
In the event of a dispute as to the identity of the person who submitted any entry, entries must be, and will be deemed, made by the authorized account holder of the email address or Xbox Live account (as applicable) submitted at the time of entry. “Authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization that is responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address, or the natural person who is assigned an Xbox Live account by Sponsor. Any potential winner may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder.
3. Draws for Prizes:
Eligible participants who successfully earn at least two (2) In-Game Achievements before the close of the Contest Period or who successfully submit at least (1) Mail-In Entry by the Mail-In Date will be automatically entered into the Contest and will be eligible to win a prize. Participants that successfully earn two (2) or three (3) In-Game Achievements or successfully submit one (1) Mail-In Entry will be entered into the draw pool for Prize #1 (as defined in paragraph 7). Participants that successfully earn four (4) or five (5) In-Game Achievements or successfully submit two (2) Mail-In Entries will be entered into the draw pool for Prize #2 (as defined in paragraph 7). Participants that successfully earn six (6) or more In-Game Achievements or successfully submit three (3) Mail-In Entries will be entered into the draw pool for the Grand Prize (as defined in paragraph 7). The potential winners of each prize will be selected by random draw (i.e. there will be three (3) separate prize draws, one (1) for each entry pool) on January 11, 2016, at approximately 11:00 a.m. EST (the “Draw Date”). The draws will be held in Toronto, Ontario. The chances of being selected in any draw depend upon the total number of eligible entries (i.e. both In-Game Achievement entries and Mail-in Entries) for each draw pool category received throughout the Contest Period.
4. The selected participants will be notified by e-mail or by telephone associated with their entry or via message to their Xbox Live account within fourteen (14) days of the draw and, prior to being declared a winner, will be required to correctly answer, unaided and without mechanical or electronic assistance, a time-limited, mathematical skill-testing technical question, to be administered by telephone at a mutually convenient time.
5. If a selected participant is unable to correctly answer the skill-testing question, cannot be reached by e-mail or telephone within forty-eight (48) hours of the initial contact, or otherwise does not meet all Contest conditions and/or fully comply with these Contest rules, his or her prize will be forfeited and another participant will be drawn from the remaining eligible entries from the relevant prize draw pool, until all prizes have been awarded or until the ultimate forfeiture date set out in paragraph 10 below.
All valuations listed are in Canadian dollars (CDN) and are approximate.
“Prize #1”: There are five (5) prize packages to be won. Each winner will receive:
- One (1) standard Xbox One controller (approximate retail value of $65 (sixty-five dollars)); and
- One (1) Halo 5 polo shirt (approximate retail value of $25 (twenty-five dollars)).
Each Prize #1 package has a total retail value of approximately $90 (ninety dollars).
“Prize #2”: There are five (5) prize packages to be won. Each winner will receive:
- One (1) Xbox One game (approximate retail value of $80 (eighty dollars)); and
- One (1) limited edition Xbox One controller (approximate retail value of $75 (seventy-five dollars)).
Each Prize #2 package has a total retail value of approximately $155 (one hundred and fifty-five dollars).
The “Grand Prize”: There is one (1) Grand Prize available to be won. The winner will receive:
- One (1) Xbox One gaming console (approximate retail value of $400 (four hundred dollars)); and
- One (1) Halo 5 Guardians Limited Collector’s Edition game box (approximate retail value of $280 (two hundred and eighty dollars)).
The Grand Prize has a total retail value of approximately $680 (six hundred and eighty dollars).
7. Awarded prizes will be delivered by courier (or electronically in the case of coupons, points or memberships, if applicable) within eight (8) weeks of confirmation of the declared winner’s return of the declaration and release referred to in paragraph 10 below. All taxes (if any) related to a prize are payable by the winner. Any costs or expenses incurred by the winners in claiming or using their prizes are the responsibility of the winners. The prizes are non-transferable and no cash alternatives will be provided. The Sponsor reserves the right to substitute the prizes described in paragraph 6 above with prizes of equal or greater value.
8. By entering, all participants agree to abide by these official rules and regulations and decisions of the Sponsor, which are final. All entries become the property of the Sponsor and will not be returned.
9. All participants hereby give permission to the Sponsor to use the participant’s gamer tag (if relevant) solely for purposes of advertising and promoting this Contest and Xbox. If you do not wish to have your gamer tag used in this manner, please do not enter the Contest.
10. To be declared an official winner, a selected participant will be required to sign a declaration and release to: (a) confirm compliance with the official rules and regulations; (b) release the Sponsor and the Sponsor-related Parties from all liability; (c) accept the prize as awarded; and (d) consent to the use of the participant’s name (including gamer tag, if relevant), address (city and Province only), likeness and/or image for publicity purposes in all media including, without limitation, social media. The Sponsor reserves the right, at its option, to publish any winner’s name, gamer tag, address (city and Province only), photograph, likeness, voice or statement without further compensation to the winner.
If all of the requirements described in this paragraph 10 are not completed and delivered to the Sponsor within seven (7) business days of the communication to the selected participant that he or she has been selected to win a prize, the selected participant will be deemed to have forfeited the prize. If a winner of a prize cannot be confirmed by March 11, 2016, then the unclaimed prize(s) will be forfeited.
11. This Contest is subject to all applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
13. Sponsor reserves the right, subject only to the jurisdiction of the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux, where applicable, to cancel, modify, suspend or terminate the Contest and to modify these rules at any time without notice, for any reason, including without limitation, if, in the opinion of the Sponsor, in its sole and absolute discretion:
a) fraud, misconduct or technical failures destroy or threaten the integrity of any portion of the Contest;
b) a computer virus, bug, or other technical problem corrupts the administration, security, or proper conduct of the Contest;
c) there is any accident or printing, administrative or other error of any kind related to the Contest.
14. Neither the Sponsor nor any of the Sponsor-related Parties are responsible for any telephone, technical, network, electronic, computer, hardware or software failures, malfunctions, or disconnects of any kind, or misdirected, illegible, incomplete, stolen, garbled, fragmented or delayed Internet/email computer transmissions or network/ISP/website/Internet accessibility. The Sponsor assumes no liability whatsoever for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction to or unauthorized alteration of entries. Sponsor is not responsible for (a) any problems or technical malfunctions of any telephone network or line(s), computer on-line systems, servers or providers, computer equipment or software, or gaming systems or software; (b) the failure of any email or entry to be received by the Sponsor due to technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website; or (c) any combination thereof, including any injury or related damage to participants or other persons, whether computer-related or game console-related or resulting from participation in, or downloading any materials in connection with, this Contest. The Sponsor reserves the right (with Régie consent, where required) to modify, suspend and/or cancel this Contest if fraud or technical failures negatively affect the integrity of the Contest or should a virus, bug or other cause beyond the reasonable control of the Sponsor corrupt the security or proper administration of the Contest. Any deliberate attempt to damage any website or server or undermine the legitimate administration of this Contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws, and should such an attempt be made, the Sponsor reserves the right to seek remedies and damages to the fullest extent permitted by law, including criminal prosecution.
15. In the event of an early termination of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right to determine the prize winners in a random drawing from among all eligible, non-suspect entries received as of the time/date of such termination.
16. FOR RESIDENTS OF QUEBEC: Any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of a publicity contest may be submitted to the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux for a ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a prize may be submitted to the board only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement. Un différend quant à l’organisation ou à la conduite d’un concours publicitaire peut être soumis à la Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux afin qu’il soit tranché. Un différend quant à l’attribution d’un prix peut être soumis à la régie uniquement aux fins d’une intervention pour tenter de le régler.
17. Except where prohibited by law, by completing the act of entering the Contest, each participant agrees that the Contest, and all issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these rules, shall be governed by the laws in force in the Province of Ontario and the federal laws of Canada applicable therein (excluding any conflict of laws, rule or principle that might refer such interpretation to the laws of another jurisdiction). Each participant irrevocably submits to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Ontario with respect to any matter related to this Contest.
19. The Sponsor reserves the right (with Régie consent, where required) to modify and amend these Contest Rules and Regulations as they appear on-line for clarification purposes and without materially affecting the Contest.
20. In the event of any discrepancy or inconsistency between the English language version and the French language version of these Contest Rules, as applicable, the English version shall prevail, govern and control.
(c) 2015 Microsoft Canada Inc. All rights reserved.