Xbox Live Code of Conduct
This document was last updated: January 2014
The Code of Conduct outlines the rules that you need to follow to help ensure that Xbox.com, Xbox Live and Games for Windows Live are fun for everyone.
A. Using Xbox Live and other services
What you can and should do:
· Be polite and treat others with respect. Just because you’re online doesn’t mean you should be insensitive.
· Make friends. If you find players you enjoy gaming with, put them on your preferred gamers list.
· Be good at a game. You will NEVER be suspended because you are too good.
· Have fun!
Privacy and Family Settings:
· Know your privacy settings and use them to help create and control the experience you want.
· If you're a parent, you can use Family Settings to control the activities and experiences available to your children. For example, you can prohibit voice and video communications, block purchasing and choose whom your children are allowed to play with online.
Complaint System and Player Feedback:
· If you encounter an enjoyable player:
o Send a Friend Request
o Give positive feedback
· If you encounter an obnoxious player:
o File a complaint if you believe the player is violating the Code of Conduct.
o Give negative feedback and/or Avoid This Player. This can be done by selecting the player’s profile and choosing the Feedback option.
o Use the Block Communications feature.
o Do not retaliate. If you act it could be considered harassment.
o Mute the player.
For how-to information, visit enforcement.xbox.com.
· Do not harass, abuse, bully, spam, scream at, threaten or stalk other users or encourage other players to do so.
· Do not encourage harm or violence against people or animals, or promote self-harm in any manner.
· Do not give out personal information of other users (such as real name, physical address, IP address, email address, phone number, credit card number, etc.) in any way. This information could be used by third parties for illegal or harmful purposes.
· Any non-game-related conversation that takes up a substantial amount of the forum, chat or in-game chat space and prevents users from finding game-related information may be considered a violation of the Code of Conduct.
C. Communications & User Created Content
· Do not create a Gamertag, profile content, Avatar content, in-game content, videos or any other content that may offend other users. This includes, without limitation, anything related to or suggestive of:
o Profane words or phrases
o Topics or content of a sexual nature
o Hate speech
o Illegal drugs or controlled substances
o Illegal activities
o Controversial religious topics
o Notorious people or organisations
o Sensitive current or historical events
o Any “sound-alike” or “lookalike” words, phrases, or puns that reference these topics
· Do not create or share any content that is offensive or discriminatory; that advocates discrimination, hatred or violence; or that promotes organisations devoted to those purposes based on considerations of:
o National origin
o Veteran status
o Sexual orientation or expression
· Do not create or share content that requests or includes instructions to injure or otherwise harm a person, group of people or animals.
· Do not create or share content that glorifies crimes against humanity such as genocide or torture.
· Do not create or share content that depicts violence or gore of an illegal or excessive nature.
· Do not create or share any content that is illegal under applicable local law, obscene or indecent.
· Do not circulate, post, publish, disseminate or discuss defamatory, infringing, obscene, sexual or unlawful materials in any format (images, audio, video, text, etc.). Prohibited materials include, without limitation, child pornography or illegal drugs.
· Do not post links to materials that could harm other users’ devices or would allow others to inappropriately access software or websites.
D. Expression of Relationship Orientation
· You may use the following terms to express your relationship orientation or gender identity in your profile or Gamertag:
· Other terms regarding relationship orientation are not allowed. In addition, you may not use these terms in a negative or inflammatory fashion or use them in reference to a third party.
· Do not impersonate, harass or defame anyone, including:
o Microsoft employees
o Staff members
o Employees of game developers, publishers or other Xbox partners
o Other support staff
F. Cheating & Tampering
· Do not cheat in a game unless the developer has deliberately enabled cheats.
· Do not use unauthorised hardware or modifications.
· Do not exploit game vulnerabilities or glitches.
· Do not make unauthorised modifications to your account profile or its contents, including but not limited to tenure, Avatar, saved games, Gamerscore or achievements.
· Do not intentionally play with someone who is using unauthorised software or methods.
· Do not play any illegitimately obtained software or pirated games.
· Do not take any action to cause degradation of service for Microsoft or other users, including but not limited to network interference or manipulation.
· Do not play a game before it has been authorised for play on the service.
G. Protecting your account and personal information
· Protecting your account information is extremely important; do not give out your personal information, including but not limited to: phone numbers, email addresses, physical addresses, etc.
· Use discretion when deciding to share your name and location in your profile and when recording or sharing content you create. If you wish to share any other personal information with another player, please do so using a non-public method.
· Do not lend, transfer, sell or otherwise provide access to your account.
· Failure to properly secure your account could result in loss of access to the Xbox Live service.
· For additional information about making your account more secure, visit our account security page.
H. Fraud & Commerce
· Accounts and Gamertags are non-transferable. Do not purchase accounts or Gamertags from third parties.
· Do not access or attempt to access accounts that you do not own.
· Do not purchase Xbox Live Gold memberships, games, Microsoft Points or any additional content from unauthorised third parties.
· Do not attempt to use or share fraudulent methods to obtain content or Microsoft Points.
· Do not use your account to trade services or in-game content for currency or Microsoft Points.
· Do not use Xbox Live for any commercial purpose:
o You may only create an account for yourself as an individual.
o You may not create or use an account for your corporation or any other business entity.
o You may not advertise any product or service in your profile or by any other means on Xbox Live.
· Do not resell or redistribute any part of the Live Service or access to the Live Service.
I. Adult-Related Content
· Do not create or share any of the following:
o Anything of a sexual or provocative nature
o Content that a reasonable person would consider to be adult or borderline adult in nature
o Content that generally falls under the category of pornography
J. Illegal Activities
· Do not use the services to do anything illegal. You, not Microsoft, are responsible for your actions on the services and the consequences of your actions.
· Any content that facilitates or promotes illegal gambling, illegal content, pornography, piracy, illegal online pharmacies, illegal drugs or criminal activities is prohibited.
· Do not create or share any content that instructs users how to make bombs, weapons or drugs, or solicits involvement in behaviour that is violent or illegal under applicable laws.
· Unauthorised use of another entity’s intellectual property is not allowed, including but not limited to: software, music, art and other copyrighted, trademarked or patented materials or trade secrets.
· Any content that facilitates or promotes underage drinking, consumption of illegal drugs or socially irresponsible behaviour due to alcohol or drug consumption (e.g. drinking and driving) is prohibited.
· Do not create or share any content that facilitates, promotes or contains terrorist threats or activities.
· Do not create or share any content that facilitates, promotes or contains references to viruses or malware.
· Do not create or share any content that facilitates or promotes identity theft.
K. Consequences of Violations
· Some offences warrant immediate permanent suspension, including but not limited to:
o Profile tampering
o Marketplace theft
o Buying, selling or theft of Gamertags or accounts
o Severe racial remarks
o Impersonation of Xbox staff
o Repeated creation of inappropriate Gamertags or profile content
o Posting viruses
o Posting URLs to phishing sites, malware or viruses
· Trying to avoid suspension by creating alternate new accounts may result in the permanent suspension of the new user account and a possible escalation of punishment to the original account, all related accounts and any device you are using to connect to the service.
· Repeated violations of the Code of Conduct may result in the permanent suspension of your account or permanent ban of any device you are using to connect to the service.
· If you are abusing the voice or message features, your ability to use the voice and messaging system will be subject to enforcement action.
MICROSOFT IS NOT OBLIGATED TO SEND YOU A WARNING BEFORE THESE ACTIONS OCCUR. If your account is suspended while you are participating in a tournament or competition, Microsoft assumes no liability for the loss of any potential prizes or recognition related to the tournament or competition. Microsoft is not obligated to monitor every post or activity, but has the right to remove any post or take action against any user.
UPON RECEIVING A PERMANENT SUSPENSION, ALL CONTENT LICENCES, GOLD MEMBERSHIP TIME AND MICROSOFT ACCOUNT BALANCE ASSOCIATED WITH THE SUSPENDED ACCOUNT ARE FORFEITED.
For more information, visit enforcement.xbox.com.