Xbox LIVE Code of Conduct
This document was last updated: November 2010
The Code of Conduct outlines the rules that you need to follow to help ensure that Xbox.com, Xbox LIVE, and Games for Windows – LIVE (the “Services”) are fun for everyone.
A. You may do the following.
- Be polite and treat others with respect. Just because you’re online doesn’t mean you should be a jerk.
- Welcome newcomers. The more people on the Services, the more fun for everyone.
- Know your privacy settings and use them to help create and control the experience you want. If you're a parent, you can use Family Settings to control the activities and experiences available to your kid. For example, you can prohibit voice and video communications, block purchasing, and choose who your kid is allowed to play with online.
- Make friends. If you find players you enjoy gaming with, put them on your preferred gamers list.
- If you encounter an obnoxious player:
- Take a break or mute the player. If you act out it could be considered harassment.
- Give negative feedback on the player. Select the player’s profile and choose the Feedback option.
- File a complaint, especially if the player is violating the Code of Conduct.
- Have fun!
B. Don’t do the following.
- Don't use the Services to do anything illegal. You are responsible for your actions and the consequences of your actions on the service, not Microsoft.
- Don't harass, abuse, or spam other players, or encourage other players to do so.
- Don't scream, yell, threaten, or stalk other players, or encourage other players to do so.
- Don't create a gamertag, profile content, Avatar action, Avatar content, or in-game content that other users may be offended by. This includes, without limitation, anything related to or suggestive of: profane words/phrases, topics or content of a sexual nature, hate speech (including but not limited to racial, ethnic, or religious slurs), illegal drugs/controlled substances, or illegal activities.
- Don't create a gamertag, profile content, Avatar action, Avatar content, or in-game content that references controversial religious topics, notorious people, organizations, or sensitive current or historical events that may be considered inappropriate.
- Don't distribute, post, publish, upload, disseminate or discuss defamatory, infringing, obscene, sexual or unlawful materials in any format (images, audio, video, text, etc.). Prohibited materials include, without limitation, child pornography or illegal drugs. “Sound alike” words or phrases or puns that reference these topics are also prohibited.
- Don't post links to websites that violate the Code of Conduct.
- Don't give out personal information of other players (such as their real name, address, phone number, credit card number, etc.) in any way (including, without limitation, through voice chat or the names you create for your gamertag or mottos). This information could be used by other players for illegal or harmful purposes. You should also avoid giving out your own personal information.
- Don't cheat in a game unless cheats have been deliberately enabled.
- Don't modify or hack game content to create cheats.
- Don’t make unauthorized modifications to your account profile or its contents.
- Don't intentionally play with someone who is using unauthorized software or methods to help inflate your game rank or gamerscore.
- Don't post links to materials that could harm other users' computers or would allow others to inappropriately access software or Web sites.
- Don’t lend, transfer, sell, or otherwise provide access to your account to any individual.
- Don’t use your account for commercial purposes (including, without limitation, trading services or in-game content for currency or Microsoft Points).
- Don't impersonate, harass, or defame Microsoft employees, moderators, or staff members.
- Don't use the forums or chats for any commercial purpose. You may only create an account for yourself as an individual. You may not create an account for your corporation or other business entity.
- Any non-game-related conversation that takes up a substantial amount of the forum or chat space and prevents users from finding game-related information may be considered a violation of the Code of Conduct.
C. Consequences of Violations.
- Some offenses warrant an immediate permanent suspension, including without limitation: hacking, modding, fraud, severe racial remarks, nudity on the Xbox LIVE Vision camera or Kinect camera, repeated creation of inappropriate gamertags or profile content, or posting viruses or URLs to viruses
- Trying to avoid a temporary suspension by creating alternate new accounts may result in a permanent suspension of the new user account and a possible escalation of punishment to the original account and all related accounts.
- Repeated violations of the Code of Conduct can result in a permanent suspension of your account, or a permanent suspension of any device you are using to connect to the service.
- If we are notified that you are abusing the voice feature or message features, your ability to use the voice and messaging system will be suspended.
Microsoft is not obligated to send you a warning before these actions occur. If your account is suspended while participating in a tournament or competition Microsoft assumes no liability in the loss of any potential prizes or recognition related to the tournament or competition. Microsoft is not obligated to monitor every post, but we have the right to remove any post or take action against any user.
Microsoft reserves the right to remove at any time, without notice, any user-created content from the Services. Microsoft reserves the right to immediately terminate or suspend a user for violations. Microsoft can contact any Internet Service Provider and provide the ISP with information on illegal activities.
D. Expression of Relationship Orientation
You may use the following terms to express your relationship orientation or gender identity in your profile or Gamertag:
Other terms regarding relationship orientation are not allowed. In addition you may not use these terms or any other terms regarding relationship orientation to insult, harass, or any other pejorative use against other users.
E. General Web Site Precautions
Some areas of Xbox.com may post Internet Web-site links. Please be advised that Microsoft is not responsible for the content on the Web sites associated with the links you may view.
Some content and links on the Internet may contain adult content and may not be suitable for children. We encourage parents to join their children as they surf and explore the Internet.
Be sure to reread this document once in a while because Microsoft will update it periodically. Some games and events may also have additional guidelines that govern your use, so be sure to review them as well.