Xbox Live Code of Conduct
This document was last updated: July 2013
The Code of Conduct outlines the rules that you need to follow to help ensure that Xbox.com, Xbox Live, and Games for Windows – Live are fun for everyone.
A. Using Xbox Live and other services
What you can/should do:
- Be polite and treat others with respect. Just because you’re online doesn’t mean you should be a jerk.
- Make friends. If you find players you enjoy gaming with, put them on your preferred gamers list.
- Be good at a game. You will NEVER be suspended because you are too good.
- Have fun!
Know your privacy settings and use them to help create and control the experience you want.
- If you're a parent, you can use Family Settings to control the activities and experiences available to your children. For example, you can prohibit voice and video communications, block purchasing, and choose who your children are allowed to play with online.
Complaint System / Player Feedback:
If you encounter an enjoyable player:
- Send a Friend Request
- Give positive feedback
If you encounter an obnoxious player:
- File a complaint if you believe the player is violating the Code of Conduct.
- Give negative feedback and/or Avoid Player. This can be done by selecting the player’s profile and choosing the Feedback option.
- Use the Block Communications feature.
- Do not retaliate. If you act out it could be considered harassment.
- Mute the player.
- Do not harass, abuse, bully, or spam other players, or encourage other players to do so.
- Do not use Xbox Live communication channels (including, but not limited to text messages, in-game chat, party chat, Kinect chat, and forums) to scream/yell at, threaten, or stalk other players, or encourage other players to do so.
- Do not encourage harm or violence against people or animals.
- Do not give out personal information of other players (such as their real name, physical address, IP address, email address, phone number, credit card number, etc.) in any way, including, without limitation, through voice chat, text communications, gamertag, or profile content. This information could be used by other players for illegal or harmful purposes.
- Any non-game-related conversation that takes up a substantial amount of the forum, chat, or in-game chat space and prevents users from finding game-related information may be considered a violation of the Code of Conduct.
C. Communications & User Created Content
- Do not create a Gamertag, profile content, Avatar action, Avatar content, or in-game content that other users may be offended by. This includes, without limitation, anything related to or suggestive of:
- Profane words/phrases
- Topics or content of a sexual nature
- Hate speech
- Illegal drugs/controlled substances
- Illegal activities
- Controversial religious topics
- Notorious people/organizations
- Sensitive current/historical events
- Any “sound alike” or “look alike” words, phrases, or puns that reference these topics are also prohibited
- Do not share/create any content that is offensive or discriminatory, or advocates discrimination, hatred, violence, or promotes organizations devoted to that purpose based on considerations of:
- National origin
- Veteran status
- sexual orientation or expression
- Do not share/create content that requests or includes instructions to injure or otherwise harm a person, group of people, or animals.
- Do not share/create content that glorifies crimes against humanity such as genocide or torture.
- Do not share/create content that depicts violence or gore of an illegal or excessive nature.
- Do not create any content that is illegal under applicable local law, obscene, or indecent.
- Do not distribute post, publish, disseminate or discuss defamatory, infringing, obscene, sexual or unlawful materials in any format (images, audio, video, text, etc.). Prohibited materials include, without limitation, child pornography or illegal drugs.
- Do not post links to materials that could harm other users’ devices or would allow others to inappropriately access software or Web sites.
D. Expression of Relationship Orientation
You may use the following terms to express your relationship orientation or gender identity in you profile or Gamertag:
Other terms regarding relationship orientation are not allowed. In addition, you may not use these terms in a negative or inflammatory fashion or use them in reference to a third party.
Do not impersonate, harass, or defame anyone, including:
- Microsoft employees
- Staff members
- Employees of game developers , publishers, or other Xbox partners
- Other support staff
F. Cheating & Tampering
- Do not cheat in a game unless cheats have been deliberately enabled by the developer.
- Do not use unauthorized hardware or modifications to gain an advantage or disrupt the competitive landscape of Xbox Live.
- Do not exploit game vulnerabilities or glitches.
- Do not make unauthorized modifications to your account profile or its contents, to include but not limited to: tenure, Avatar, gamesaves, or Gamerscore.
- Do not intentionally play with someone who is using unauthorized software or methods.
- Do not play any illegitimately obtained software or pirated games.
- Do not take any action to cause degradation of service for Microsoft or other users.
- Do not play a game before it has been authorized for play on the service.
G. Protect your account and personal information
- Protecting your account information is extremely important; do not give out your own personal information, including but not limited to: phone numbers, email addresses, physical addresses, etc.
- Use discretion when deciding to share your name and location in your profile. If you wish to share any other personal information with another player, please do so by a non-public method.
- Do not lend, transfer, sell, or otherwise provide access to your account.
- Failure to properly secure your account could result in loss of access to the Xbox Live service.
- For additional information on making your account more secure, visit our account security page.
H. Fraud & Commerce
- Accounts and Gamertags are non-transferable. Do not purchase accounts or Gamertags from third-parties.
- Do not access or attempt to access accounts that you do not own.
- Do not purchase Microsoft Points, Xbox Live Gold memberships, games or any additional content from unauthorized third-parties.
- Do not attempt to utilize or share fraudulent methods to obtain content or Microsoft Points.
- Do not use your account to trade services or in-game content for currency or Microsoft Points.
- Do not use Xbox Live for any commercial purpose:
- You may only create an account for yourself as an individual
- You may not create or use an account for your corporation or any other business entity
- Do not advertise any product or service in your profile or by any other means on Xbox Live
- Do not resell or redistribute any part of the Live Service or access to the Live Service
I. Adult-Related Content
Do not create or share any of the following:
- Anything of a sexual or provocative nature
- Content that a reasonable person would consider to be adult or borderline adult in nature
- Content that generally falls under the category of pornography
J. Illegal Activities
- Do not use the services to do anything illegal. You are responsible for your actions on the services and the consequences of your actions, not Microsoft.
- Any content that facilitates or promotes illegal gambling, illegal content and/or pornography, piracy, illegal online pharmacies, illegal drugs, or criminal activities is prohibited.
- Do not create or share any content that instructs users how to make bombs or weapons, drugs, or solicits involvement in behavior that is violent or illegal under applicable laws.
- Unauthorized use of another entity’s intellectual property is not allowed, including but not limited to: software, music, art, and other copyrighted, trademarked or patented materials or trade secrets.
- Any content that facilitates or promotes underage drinking, consumption of illegal drugs, or socially irresponsible behavior due to alcohol or drug consumption (e.g., drinking and driving) is prohibited.
- Do not create or share any content that facilitates, promotes, or contains terrorist threats or activities.
- Do not share or create any content that facilitates, promotes, or contains references to viruses or malware.
- Do not create or share any content that facilitates or promotes identity theft.
K. Consequences of Violations.
- Some offenses warrant an immediate permanent suspension, including without limitation: hacking, modding, profile tampering, fraud, marketplace theft, buying/selling/theft of gamertags/accounts, severe racial remarks, impersonation of Xbox staff, nudity on the Xbox Live Vision camera or Kinect sensor, repeated creation of inappropriate gamertags or profile content, posting viruses, or URLs to phishing sites, malware, or viruses.
- Trying to avoid a suspension by creating alternate new accounts may result in a permanent suspension of the new user account and a possible escalation of punishment to the original account and all related accounts, and any device you are using to connect to the service.
- Repeated violations of the Code of Conduct may result in a permanent suspension of your account, or a permanent ban of any device you are using to connect to the service.
- If you are abusing the voice or message features, your ability to use the voice and messaging system will be suspended.
Microsoft is not obligated to send you a warning before these actions occur. If your account is suspended while participating in a tournament or competition Microsoft assumes no liability in the loss of any potential prizes or recognition related to the tournament or competition. Microsoft is not obligated to monitor every post or activity, but we have the right to remove any post or take action against any user.
Microsoft reserves the right to remove at any time, without notice, any user-created content from the Services. Microsoft reserves the right to immediately terminate or suspend a user for violations. Microsoft can contact any Internet Service Provider and provide the ISP with information on illegal activities.
UPON RECEIVING A PERMANENT SUSPENSION ALL CONTENT LICENSES, GOLD MEMBERSHIP TIME, AND MICROSOFT POINTS ASSOCIATED WITH THE SUSPENDED ACCOUNT ARE FORFEIT.