What to do if you believe your account has been compromised
If your account has been compromised, you may experience any of the following scenarios:
- You notice unauthorized charges
- You receive a pop up message, like an achievement, that says you signed into another console:
[Gamertag] was last signed in on another console
- You receive one of these error messages:
Sorry, this profile can’t sign in right now. Try again later.
Some Xbox LIVE profiles can’t be downloaded now. Try again later.
Note: You may not see any error with your ZUNE software. But if you think that your account has been compromised, follow the steps provided below.
For any of the above scenarios, follow the steps below:
1. Change Xbox LIVE Password
When you suspect something suspicious has happened with your account, you should change your passwords immediately. Go to https://account.live.com/ and see if you can still log into your Windows LIVE account.
If you can, change your password immediately, and setup strong proofs (if none exist). We highly recommend setting up an SMS and Trusted PC under Account Information section, then go to step 2.
If you cannot login to your Windows Live ID to change your password or if you notice unrecognized strong proofs, skip to Step 4.
2. Require a password to sign in from all consoles where your profile exists
If the person who compromised your account downloaded your profile to a console, they may have elected to not require a password to sign in. In this case, even after changing your password, they will still be able to sign in. To solve this, you will need to remove access to your profile from all consoles. To do this:
- Visit xbox.com/profile/protection
- Sign in with your Windows Live ID
- Select Protect profile
All consoles across Xbox LIVE will now require your freshly changed password to sign in.
Now that your account is secure, you need to download your profile. Downloading the account invalidates any other copies of your Xbox LIVE profile that may be on someone else’s console. To learn how to do this click here.
3. Check your bill
Go to http://billing.microsoft.com and check for any suspicious purchases. As with any billing statements, you should check this regularly.
4. Call Xbox LIVE Support if needed
Only call Xbox support if:
- There are unauthorized charges on your account
- You can’t change your password
- Your gamertag has changed
- You can’t download your profile
We can guide you through the next steps. To help us make sure you have the following information ready:
- Your Windows LIVE ID associated with your gamertag
- An alternate email that needs to be different than the one associated with your Windows LIVE
- Your Console ID and serial number
Do not report the issue via email or chat support as we will need you to answer security questions over the phone.
5. Review the Xbox LIVE Account Security Checklist
Become familiar with the account security checklist so you know how to protect yourself in the future.